A New Path
| All of us with nothing better to do than visiting this page repeatedly, praying for new posts every click of the Refresh button will agree that this blog is dying. Not dead, since there are some posts every now and then. But definitely dying.
It is time to move away from the blog format of this site. The reasons should be obvious. The blog format is not meant to hold this many contributors. And more importantly, I highly doubt we're really interested in knowing what we're all doing everyday yet; that's for when our scholarships end next year. No, while we're still together, that should be reserved for amphitheater congregations. This site should be for something else. Entertainment. I'm sure we all enjoyed the war while it lasted. It was funny in a retarded kind of way and the major contributors certainly enjoying retarding themselves to gain that extra edge over the retardness of their opponents. I see a new kind of war, fought over many battlefronts, where everyone can participate. I see... a forum. Yes, think about it! A forum with multiple threads, each with a different topic of discussion like "Why is Andrew Tan so gay?" and "Alex = Gideon = Goldilocks. Do you agree?" Entertaining and open to participation. I like it. And I look forward to arguing why Alex = Gideon = Goldilocks. There is one problem with this. The site administrator will have quite a bit of work getting a forum software and somehow integrating it into the site. If the forum site is to be mugtab, then said administrator would be Ben Ben. Is Ben Ben willing to do this work? Serve the Malaysean community as forum admin? Spend the time tweaking this place? I don't know. Only Ben Ben can volunteer. Then there's the question of the site itself. We haven't exactly tested blogspot's compatibility with the forum software. That means we'll either: a) integrate the forum software in seamlessly b) fail and be forced to find a non-blogspot site to host the forum If Outcome b occurs, we'll have to find a server that will be able to hold the forum data size. And we'll have to get some really inconvenient url. Like geocities.com/feedingtime/ilikecarrot/hahaha/mugtab.html. Not fun. Of course, some of you are asking, Why don't we just convert the blog in a sort of pseudo-forum? We can. But the problem is a matter of live and dead threads, which means which threads are still being posted to and which have died. Proper forum software automatically bumps recently updated threads to the top and lets dead ones sink to the bottom. So we'll know which threads to read and post to rather than checking each one for updates. The blog system would organize threads by the time the first post was made. As you can suspect, a topic like "Why Alex = Gideon" can last rather long, especially when we go off topic and start pulling in other people. Even if a thread I made yesterday was still alive and kicking, it'd still be buried under all the threads made after it. You can see the problem of organization and presentation here. So. I leave it to you to decide. Please leave your comments within this post itself by commenting on the post. I know it's easier to comment through the tagboard, but as I said on Elaine's blog, if we want to have a discussion that'll help make the new mugtab better, then the damn comments had better not disappear halfway... as it does on the tagboard. What tagboard? Oh. If you would scroll to the bottom of the page... yes, it's there. Feeding Time, you still haven't edited your post to stop that damned link from invading the tagboard area. |

Comments on "A New Path"
-
tanoshi said ... (6:21 pm) :
-
silentL! said ... (10:51 pm) :
-
byRAN said ... (11:31 pm) :
post a commenthmmz...one alternative to make this blog like a forum would be to start a new discussion as a fresh post..then subsequent replies can be added by posting comments to the initial post. it can get rather long and lengthy, but this might work.
adios
as u would have guessed.. i have no idea bout the technical stuff u have discussed in this post. but i will try my best to participate wateva it is.
"The blog system would organize threads by the time the first post was made. As you can suspect, a topic like "Why Alex = Gideon" can last rather long, especially when we go off topic and start pulling in other people. Even if a thread I made yesterday was still alive and kicking, it'd still be buried under all the threads made after it. You can see the problem of organization and presentation here."This should answer your question, Daniel. Like I said, it's an option, but a sucky option which I'd rather not choose.
And yes, Carynl, I know it's technical and a bit long. But this concerns the future of our blog, so bear with me, all of you, as we try to work something out.