Thursday, December 15, 2005

Brownies

I (tried to) bake brownies today.

I would say they looked quite appetizing, with my friend Connie, insisting we finish using the whole 200g pack of almond slices (the only kind of nuts we could get), by mixing half of it into the brownie batter and sprinkling the other half on top it just before we put it into the oven.

The brownie-cake(see picture) looked quite good, but unfortunately, the texture didn't quite come out as we wanted it to. It was quite far off from what we'd call 'moist', 'rich', and 'fudge-y'.

Nevertheless, I was still quite proud of myself. So what if it wasn't chocolatey enough, and was a bit dry, and seemed more like a chocolate cake with almond toppings, instead of the 'divine chocolate brownies' that the recipe promised?

So that was my first attempt at baking brownies cakes.

After that, when I was bathing and slathering on some wonderful Body Shop Papaya Salt scrub, I realised that the word 'salt' came up somewhere else, earlier today.

Then I realised I had missed out on the salt when mixing in the ingredients for the brownie cake . Does the salt even affect the texture, or is it just for taste?

Oh well. At least I had tons of fun.

So baking's going to be my new hobby for now (at least, before I start chinese painting/oil painting classes/Latin dance classes/reading up theology and economics/cleaning up my room).

I'll try to make a carrot cake next. Please pray that they won't turn out to become a gigantic carrot cookie instead.

Comments on "Brownies"

 

Blogger tanoshi said ... (12:28 am) : 

u can try crushing the almonds then mix with your cake batter or sprinkle them over the top chocolate layer.
gives it a different texture.

happy cooking =)

 

Blogger Vin said ... (1:34 am) : 

You'll be surprised at what salt does. Probably some interaction between the ingredient. Bleh
That's chemistry for you.

 

post a comment