Jobs To Consider
| It's probably appropriate to talk about careers and jobs now, since we're stuck back in this in-between phase of our lives. Consider the following (part time, or otherwise) jobs: 1. Painter I got restless halfway through 'Emma' one day, and decided to give one of the walls in my room a new coat of paint. My dad was awfully helpful and encourging ('Oh, I'm going out now, there's some leftover white paint over there, get the ladder and brushes yourself, I'll check on you when I come back'), so I was left to complete the whole wall all by myself (don't wanna be...). It is actually quite a fun thing to do (if you have plenty of time to spare); you gleefully get to paint over unremovable blue tac, double sided tape, and other unidentifiable stains on the wall. Caution: Parents did mean it when they said 'you'll regret sticking anything unto your wall'. And I sure got a full body workout at the end of it (Ready to build some biceps and triceps, Kim Ong?). Oh, and let us not forget Norah Jones in her fantasy to become one of these. "If I were a painter, I would paint my reverie, If that's the only way for you to be with me." 2. Piano Tuner I just realised that I've never ever been in when the tuner (tuna? haha) comes to tune the piano. But I happened to be at home, and free today. Mr. Tuner came with this briefcase which opened up to reveal a tool box compartmentation housing all his (weird) tools. He started off by artfully and delightfully dusting the piano keys with a paintbrush, (I suppose a feather duster would be too rough on the keys), following which he took the piano boards apart. He sat down, perched in a position looking almost like a concert pianist about to start on his performance, and began a sequence of tapping the tuning fork against his thigh, bringing it to his right ear, then adjusting the tension of the strings with his tuning level, while holding the strings down with the mute. After the A keys on the piano, he went on to do all the others in between, by comparing the pitch of the tuned A notes. The fee was RM60 for a forty minute job. I'm not complaining that we were overcharged, but I really didn't realise how much they made, just doing that. (RM60x8=RM480 a day=RM 9600 in a five-day week month) And I don't think you even need a music diploma/degree to tune pianos. |

Comments on "Jobs To Consider"
post a comment